print friendly version
Text Size  A  A  A

Life Insurance Relief is given on annual insurance premiums paid on life assurance policies bought on your life or the life of your wife.

Find out more on:

Who can claim

You can claim this relief in the Year of Assessment 2015 if you satisfy ALL the conditions below:

  1. Your total compulsory employee CPF contribution or self-employed Medisave/Voluntary CPF contribution or both in 2014 is less than $5,000.
  2. You paid insurance premiums in 2014 on your own life assurance policies or on insurance (of which you are the policy holder) bought on your wife's life.
  3. The insurance company must have an office or branch in Singapore if your policies are taken on or after 10 August 1973.

Life Insurance relief cannot be claimed on premiums paid on an accident and health policy that provides for the payment of policy monies on the death of a person. Such a policy is not a life insurance policy. 

If you are a married female

You can claim this relief if you satisfy all the conditions above. However, no relief will be given for insurance premiums that you have paid on your husband's life assurance policies.

If you have children

No relief will be given for insurance premiums paid on your children's life assurance policies.

How much you can claim

You are not eligible for Life Insurance Relief for the Year of Assessment 2015 if your total compulsory employee CPF contribution in 2014 is $5,000 or more.

If your CPF contribution is less than $5,000, you can claim the lower of

  • The difference between $5,000 and your CPF contribution; or
  • Up to 7% of the insured value of your own/your wife's life or the amount of insurance premiums paid, whichever is lower.

How to claim


When are you making the claim?

Is this the first time you are claiming the relief?



When filing your tax return online


1. Go to Main Tax Form

 2. Go to item 6-20 Total Deductions And Reliefs

3. Click on Change, remove or make new claims for Deductions, Reliefs and Rebates. (e.g. Donations, CPF, spouse, child reliefs and Parenthood Tax Rebate)

4. Go to item 14 Life Insurance and enter your claim.

If the relief has been allowed to you last year, this relief will be pre-filled and allowed to you automatically this year.

If you need to make any changes, go to item 14 Life Insurance and revise your claim.


When completing your paper tax return

(Form B1 or Form B)

Form B1

1. Complete item 6(g) on page 2 of Form B1.

2. Complete details of the premiums paid in Appendix 2 of Form B1.

Form B1

Complete item 6(g) on page 2 of Form B1.

Form B

1. Complete item 6(g) on page 3 of Form B.

2. Complete details of premiums paid in Appendix 3 of Form B.



Form B

Complete item 6(g) on page 3 of Form B.


Q1.  I have filed my tax return for the Year of Assessment (YA) 2015.  What should I do if I have forgotten to claim or need to revise my claim for Life Insurance Relief (LIR)?  


Rate this page
Strongly Disagree                 Strongly Agree
Information is easy to understand.  
Information is useful.
Information is easy to find.

Suggestions to improve this page:
Please email us if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.

Last Updated on 8 January 2015

© 2014 Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. All Rights Reserved.