Tax Season 2017 – About Your Tax Bill

This page provides information on what to expect after you have submitted your income tax return.


You need SingPass 2-Step Verification (2FA) to log in to myTax Portal
It will take up to 10 working days to set up SingPass 2FA. Please plan in advance before transacting online.
To set up your 2FA:
1. Log in to your SingPass account* and follow the instructions on the screen
2. Wait for a PIN mailer to arrive at your registered address
3. Follow the instructions in the PIN mailer to activate your 2FA

* If you have forgotten your SingPass password, you can reset the password online at

For the Year of Assessment (YA) 2017, all individuals who are tax residents in Singapore will receive a personal income tax rebate of 20% of tax payable, up to a cap of $500.

View tax changes for YA 2017 (356KB)

Before Getting Your Tax Bill

1) When will I receive my tax bill?

You should receive your tax bill (also known as Notice of Assessment (NOA)) between end Apr to Sep 2017.

If you have updated your Singapore mobile number with IRAS, you will receive an SMS alert when your tax bill is finalised. To update your mobile number, log in to myTax Portal using your SingPass or IRAS PIN, and click on 'Update Contact Details'.

2) I am on GIRO. Why is IRAS deducting from my bank account when I have not received my tax bill?

If you are on a monthly GIRO payment plan, you will be given a Provisional Instalment Plan (PIP), while your tax bill is being finalised.

Deductions under the PIP begin in May each year to April of the following year, based on your tax payable last year. A 12-month instalment plan enables you to better manage your tax payment. When your tax bill is finalised, IRAS will adjust the instalment amount for the subsequent months taking into account the earlier payments you have made.

Excess payment (if any) will be automatically refunded to you. There is no need for you to make a claim for refund.

Objection/ Payment After Getting Your Tax Bill

3) What should I do when I receive my tax bill?

Please check your tax bill once you receive it. If your tax bill is incorrect, please file an objection online or inform us via myTax Mail within 30 days from the date of the tax bill. (Please refer to Question 4 on how to submit an e-objection.)

Examples where the tax bill is incorrect:
a) You overlooked to claim child relief and Parenthood Tax Rebate for your child born in 2016;
b) You overlooked to remove child relief when you did not meet the qualifying conditions. E.g. your child was in receipt of income exceeding $4,000 in 2016;
c) You declared your employment income in your tax return, when your employer is participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme (AIS) for Employment Income (i.e. your employment income is “taxed twice”);
d) You did not declare your employment income from an employer who is not participating in AIS ;and
e) You did not declare commission or rental income which you earned or received in 2016.

4) How do I submit an e-objection to my tax bill?

You can file an objection to your tax bill using the “Object to Assessment” e-Service at myTax Portal. This e-Service can be used to file an objection for any of the following purposes:
(1) Revise income declaration;
(2) Amend claims for deductions and reliefs;
(3) Claim Parenthood Tax Rebate; or
(4) Change in tax residency status (non-resident to resident, if applicable).

With this e-Service, you will be able to view the pre-filled values in the original tax assessment and amend them with ease. Thereafter, you will be able to see a consolidated view of the revised income, deductions and reliefs and receive an instant acknowledgement upon submitting the objection. We will send you the revised tax bill by post or update you on the status of your objection within 10 working days.

Example: What should I do if I forgot to claim child relief and/or Parenthood Tax Rebate for my child born in 2016? 
Please refer to Question 18 in this set of FAQs on the “Object to Assessment” e-Service (624KB).

Alternatively, you can email us via myTax Mail. To do so, log in to myTax Portal using your SingPass or IRAS PIN, and click on myTax Mail followed by New Enquiry.

5) How do I pay my tax?

Most taxpayers pay their taxes by GIRO to enjoy up to 12 monthly interest-free instalments. You can also opt for a one-time yearly GIRO deduction.

Alternatively, you can make full payment via AXS, Internet Banking, ATM, SAM, cash/ NETS at any Singapore Post branch, or cheque/ cashier's order.

Taxpayers facing financial difficulties are advised to contact IRAS to discuss a suitable payment plan, upon receiving their tax bills.

6) How do I get a refund for my tax credit?

There is no need for you to submit a claim for refund. More than 90% of the tax credits were refunded within 7 days from the date the credit arose.

Taxpayers who pay taxes through GIRO will receive refunds in the form of tax credits through the same GIRO account. If you are using another person's bank account for GIRO payments, refunds will be made to you through cheques. Please deposit the cheque into your bank account immediately as it is only valid for three months.

Review of Personal Reliefs

7) Why have I received a letter on the review of my personal tax relief claims?

We review income tax assessments regularly to ensure the accuracy of relief claims.

The letter is to inform you that you did not meet the qualifying conditions for one or more personal reliefs claimed by you.

8) What is the "Revise Duplicate Relief Claim" e-Service?

This e-Service is for you to e-submit your “Revise Duplicate Relief Claim” reply. This is a convenient and secure communication channel to submit your reply online. You will receive an acknowledgement upon successful transmission.

You will need to reply via the e-Service if:

1. There is more than one person claiming the relief on the same dependant. For example, you and your sister are claiming Grandparent Caregiver Relief (GCR) on your mother. As GCR cannot be shared, only you or your sister can claim the maximum relief of $3,000 provided you have met the other qualifying conditions; or

2. The total amount claimed by all claimants exceeds the maximum allowable relief amount. For example, you and your spouse are each claiming Qualifying Child Relief (QCR) of $4,000 for your child. As the maximum QCR per child is $4,000, you and your spouse must apportion the amount between the two of you; or

3. The dependant is the subject of claim for more than one relief. For example, your father is claiming Spouse Relief on your mother and you are claiming Parent Relief on her too. With the exception of GCR, a dependant cannot be the subject of claim for more than one relief.

When replying via the e-Service, please ensure that:

1. You have satisfied all the qualifying conditions for claiming the relief (you can use the Personal Reliefs Eligibility Tool (456KB) to check your relief eligibility).

2. All the original claimants must review and agree on the apportionment to make up the 100% for reliefs that can be shared.

3. You reply within 21 days from the date of the letter.

Please refer to the FAQs (257KB) for more information.

Other Questions You May Have

9) There is a change in my personal particulars. How do I update IRAS?

Please refer here for details on how to update your personal particulars (e.g. name, marital status, mobile number, residential/mailing address).

10) I lost my tax bill. How can I get a copy of my tax bill?

Visit myTax Portal to view or save a copy of your tax bill to your smartphone/ other devices, or print a copy of your tax bill. Find out more on getting a copy of your tax bill and other documents.


  • Strongly Disagree
  • Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Please email us if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.