You Need SingPass 2-Step Verification (2FA) to Log In to myTax Portal
It will take up to 10 working days to set up SingPass 2FA. Please plan in advance before transacting online.
To set up your 2FA:
1. Log in to your SingPass account* and follow the instructions on the screen
2. Wait for a PIN mailer to arrive at your registered address
3. Follow the instructions in the PIN mailer to activate your 2FA
* If you have forgotten your SingPass password, you can reset the password online at www.singpass.gov.sg.
1) Received a letter or SMS about No-Filing Service (NFS)?
If you received a letter or SMS informing that you have been selected for NFS, you do not need to file a tax return.
Your Notice of Assessment (NOA) or tax bill will be sent to you between end Apr to Sep 2017. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your NOA is accurate. If you have any other income that is not shown in the NOA, or your relief claims in the NOA are incorrect, please inform us within 30 days from the date of your NOA.
2) Do I need to file a tax return?
3) How do I go about filing my tax return?
4) Do I need to declare my employment income information?
5) Do I have to submit my Form IR8A or other supporting documents?
You are not required to submit your Form IR8A or other supporting documents unless specifically stated at the Acknowledgement Page.
6) Which income is taxable, which is not?
Generally, all income earned in Singapore is subject to tax. Find out more about the taxability of the different types of income (e.g. employment, trade, etc.).
7) Can I claim expenses?
Generally, you may claim tax deductions on expenses 'wholly and exclusively' incurred in earning your income. Find out more about deductions for the different types of expenses (e.g. employment expenses, business expenses, etc.).
effect from YA 2016, tax filing has been simplified for rental expenses. You may opt to claim
the rental expenses based on 15% of the gross rental income derived from the
tenanted residential property, instead of the actual amount of deductible
expenses incurred. In addition to the 15%, you may claim a deduction on
interest paid on the loan taken to purchase the property. You may use the rental calculator to decide if it
is beneficial to claim 15% deemed rental expenses or to claim based on actual
rental expenses incurred. Find out more about the Simplification of Claim
of Rental Expenses for Individuals.
8) Can I claim personal reliefs and rebates?
9) What are the common filing mistakes to avoid?
Common filing mistakes include not filing a tax return when you have received a notification from IRAS to file, and using previous years' relief claims for the current YA even though your circumstances had changed. Read on for the common filing mistakes to avoid.
For self-employed persons, sole-proprietors and partners: you can find out more about common
filing mistakes specific to your trade, business, vocation or
10) How do I know if I have filed successfully?
If you have successfully filed, you will see an Acknowledgement Page on the screen after you click 'SUBMIT'. If you do not see an Acknowledgement Page, please check your filing status in myTax Portal, under “Individuals” --> “View Filing Status”.
11) How can I retrieve the Consolidated Statement after I have successfully filed?
You can retrieve the
Consolidated Statement in myTax Portal, under ‘Notices’.
12) How can I calculate my tax payable?
If you are a tax resident in the preceding year (i.e. physically present or exercised employment in Singapore for 183 days or more between 1 Jan 2016 and 31 Dec 2016), you can use the Tax Calculator for Resident Individuals to calculate your tax payable.
You may also wish to find out more about related tax calculators (e.g. rental calculator, car benefit calculator).
13) How do I pay my tax?
Most taxpayers pay their taxes via 12 months interest-free GIRO plan. Alternatively, you can make a one-time payment via the electronic payment modes (e.g. AXS, internet banking, ATM, SAM), cash/NETS at any Singapore Post branch, or cheque/cashier's order.
14) Have more questions?
Ask Jasmine! Your friendly virtual assistant will answer your enquiries.