Tax Season 2017 - All You Need To Know

Tax Season 2017 is here. This page provides you with information on individual income tax filing to help you better understand your tax filing obligations.

Filing for the Year of Assessment (YA) 2017 begins on 1 Mar 2017.
If you need to submit an income tax return, please do so by the following dates.

e-Filing:           18 Apr 2017
Paper Filing:    15 Apr 2017              

To e-File your tax return, log in to  myTax Portal using your SingPass or IRAS PIN. 
You can file your income tax return either via mobile phone or desktop.


There will be a personal income tax rebate of 20% of tax payable to individuals who are tax residents in Singapore for the YA 2017, capped at $500 per tax resident individual.


Tax Season 2017 SingPass 2FA Message

1) Received a letter or SMS about No-Filing Service (NFS)?

If you received a letter or SMS informing that you have been selected for NFS, you do not need to file a tax return.

Your Notice of Assessment (NOA) or tax bill will be sent to you between end Apr to Sep 2017. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your NOA is accurate. If you have any other income that is not shown in the NOA, or your relief claims in the NOA are incorrect, please inform us within 30 days from the date of your NOA.

2) Do I need to file a tax return?

 You can use the check your filing requirements tool to check if you need to file a tax return.

3) Do I need to declare my employment income information?

If your employer is participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme (AIS) for Employment Income, you do not need to declare your employment income information. To check if your employer is participating in AIS and if they have submitted your income information for YA 2017, you may refer to the AIS Organisation Search

4) Which income is taxable, which is not?

Generally, all income earned in Singapore is subject to tax. Find out more about the taxability of the different types of income (e.g. employment, trade, etc.).

5) Can I claim expenses?

Generally, you may claim tax deductions on expenses 'wholly and exclusively' incurred in earning your income. Find out more about deductions for the different types of expenses (e.g. employment expenses, business expenses, etc.).

With effect from YA 2016, tax filing has been simplified for rental expenses. You may opt to claim the rental expenses based on 15% of the gross rental income derived from the tenanted residential property, instead of the actual amount of deductible expenses incurred. In addition to the 15%, you may claim a deduction on interest paid on the loan taken to purchase the property. You may use the rental calculator to decide if it is beneficial to claim 15% deemed rental expenses or to claim based on actual rental expenses incurred. Find out more about the Simplification of Claim of Rental Expenses for Individuals.


6) Can I claim personal reliefs and rebates?

You can claim personal reliefs and rebates if you are a Singapore tax resident and have met the qualifying conditions for the respective reliefs/rebates in the preceding year (i.e. 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2016).

You may check your eligibility for the personal reliefs using the Personal Reliefs Eligibility Tool* and and Parenthood Tax Rebate using the Parenthood Tax Rebate Tool.

*Works best with Microsoft Office Excel 2007 or later version

7) What are the common filing mistakes to avoid?

Common filing mistakes include not filing a tax return when you have received a notification from IRAS to file, and using previous years' relief claims for the current YA even though your circumstances had changed. Read on for the common filing mistakes to avoid.

For self-employed persons, sole-proprietors and partners: you can find out more about common filing mistakes specific to your trade, business, vocation or profession.

8) How do I check my e-Filing status?

You can check whether IRAS received your tax return by logging in to myTax Portal or calling the IRAS hotline. Read on for more details on checking filing status.

9) How can I calculate my tax payable?

If you are a tax resident in the preceding year (i.e. physically present or exercised employment in Singapore for 183 days or more between 1 Jan 2016 and 31 Dec 2016), you can use the Tax Calculator for Resident Individuals to calculate your tax payable.

You may also wish to find out more about related tax calculators (e.g. rental calculator, car benefit calculator).

10) How do I pay my tax?

Most taxpayers pay their taxes via 12 months interest-free GIRO plan. Alternatively, you can make a one-time payment via the electronic payment modes (e.g. AXS, internet banking, ATM, SAM), cash/NETS at any Singapore Post branch, or cheque/cashier's order.

11) Have more questions?

Alternatively, Ask Jasmine! Your friendly virtual assistant will answer your enquiries.


  • Strongly Disagree
  • Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Please email us if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.