View tax changes for YA 2021 (PDF, 721 KB).

1) What if I require more time to file my tax return?

If you need additional time to file your income tax return, please use the 'Request Extension of Time to File' (PDF, 1.09MB) e-Service. Alternatively, you can contact us through the following channels:

2) Received a letter or SMS about No-Filing Service (NFS)?

If you received a letter or SMS informing that you have been selected for NFS, you do not need to file a tax return. However, if you wish to make any adjustments to your income details or relief claims, please log in to myTax Portal to file a tax return.

Otherwise, you may log in to to preview your Notice of Assessment (NOA) and request an early assessment before 19 Apr 2021.

Alternatively, your NOA or tax bill (digital or paper format) will be sent to you from end Apr 2021 onwards. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your NOA is accurate. If you have any other income that is not shown in the NOA, or if your relief claims in the NOA are incorrect, please inform us within 30 days from the date of your NOA.

3) Do I need to file a tax return?


New! Find out if you need to file an Income Tax Return for YA 2021

Check your filing requirement


4) What do I need to file my tax return?

Please refer to Tips on e-Filing for YA 2021.

There are software requirements for accessing myTax Portal. Please refer to the operating systems and browsers that are supported.

5) Do I need to declare my employment income information?

If your employer is participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme (AIS) for Employment Income, you do not need to declare your employment income information. To check if your employer is participating in AIS and if they have submitted your income information for YA 2021, please refer to the AIS Organisation Search

6) Do I have to submit my Form IR8A or other supporting documents?

You are not required to submit your Form IR8A or other supporting documents unless specifically stated at the Acknowledgement Page.

7) Which income is taxable, which is not?

Generally, all income earned in Singapore is subject to tax. Find out more about the taxability of the different types of income (e.g. employment, trade, etc.).

8) Can I claim expenses?

Generally, you may claim tax deductions on expenses 'wholly and exclusively' incurred in earning your income. Find out more about deductions for the different types of expenses (e.g. employment expenses, business expenses, etc.).

With effect from YA 2016, tax filing has been simplified for rental expenses. You may opt to claim the rental expenses based on 15% of the gross rental income derived from the tenanted residential property, instead of the actual amount of deductible expenses incurred. In addition to the 15%, you may claim a deduction on interest paid on the loan taken to purchase the property. You may use the Rental Calculator (XLS, 356 KB) to decide if it is beneficial to claim 15% deemed rental expenses or to claim based on actual rental expenses incurred. Find out more about the Simplification of Claim of Rental Expenses for Individuals (PDF, 247 KB).


9) Can I claim personal reliefs and rebates?

You can claim personal reliefs and rebates if you are a Singapore tax resident and have met the qualifying conditions for the respective reliefs/rebates in the preceding year (i.e. 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2020).

New! Find out the reliefs that you may be able to claim: 

Personal Relief Checker

You may check your eligibility for Parenthood Tax Rebate using the Parenthood Tax Rebate Tool (XLS, 103 KB).


10) What are the common filing mistakes to avoid?

Common filing mistakes include not filing a tax return when you have received a notification from IRAS to file, and using previous years' relief claims for the current YA even though your circumstances had changed. Read on for the common filing mistakes to avoid.

For self-employed persons, sole-proprietors and partners: you can find out more about common filing mistakes (PDF, 102KB) specific to your trade, business, vocation or profession.

11) How do I know if I have filed successfully?

If you have successfully filed, you will see an Acknowledgement Page on the screen after you click 'SUBMIT'.  If you do not see an Acknowledgement Page, please check your filing status in myTax Portal, under “Individuals” --> “View Filing Status”.

12) How can I retrieve the Consolidated Statement after I have successfully filed?

 You can retrieve the Consolidated Statement in myTax Portal, under ‘Notices’.


13) How can I calculate my tax payable?

If you are a tax resident in the preceding year (i.e. physically present or exercised employment in Singapore for 183 days or more between 1 Jan 2020 and 31 Dec 2020), you can use the Tax Calculator for Resident Individuals to calculate your tax payable.

You may also wish to find out more about related tax calculators (e.g. rental calculator, car benefit calculator).

14) How do I pay my tax?

Most taxpayers pay their taxes via 12 months interest-free GIRO plan. Alternatively, you can make a one-time payment via the electronic payment modes (e.g. AXS, internet banking, SAM) or NETS at any post office.