Filing Due Date for Form C-S/ C

From YA 2021, the annual filing deadline for Form C-S/ C is 30 Nov.

    There are two types of Corporate Income Tax Returns, Form C-S and Form C. Companies that do not meet the Form C-S qualifying conditions will need to file Form C together with their financial statements, tax computations and supporting schedules.

    A dormant company is still required to e-File the Form for Dormant Company unless it has been granted a waiver of Corporate Income Tax Return submission.

    Consequences for Late / Non-Filing of Tax Returns

    IRAS may take the following actions if companies fail to file the Form C-S/ Form C together with financial statements and tax computation before the due date:

    1. Issue an estimated Notice of Assessment (NOA). The company must pay the estimated tax within one month;
    2. Offer to compound the offence with a composition amount not exceeding $1,000;
    3. Issue a Section 65B(3) notice to the director to submit the required information in the Form C-S/ Form C to IRAS; and/or

    4. Summon the company or person responsible for running of the company (including the directors) to Court.

      Offer of Composition

      It is an offence if a company fails to file its Form C-S/ Form C together with financial statements and tax computation before the due date. Instead of taking prosecution actions, IRAS may allow the company to settle the offence through the payment of a composition amount.

      The composition amount ranges from $200 to $1,000 and the amount is dependent on the company’s past filing and payment records.

      The company will need to pay the composition amount and file the overdue tax return and documents to settle the tax offence.

      Notice to Director for Information Under Section 65B(3)

      IRAS may issue a Notice to the director of the company pursuant to Section 65B(3) of the Income Tax Act. The company director is required to provide the information requested before the due date stated in the notice, to avoid being summoned to Court.

      Court Summons

      A summons may be issued to the company and/or the director to attend Court on a specified date if IRAS does not receive:

      1. The required tax return and/or documents before the due date; and/or
      2. Payment of the composition amount before the due date.

        One Week Before the Court Date 

        If the company and/or directors do not wish to attend Court, the company should take the following actions at least one week before the Court date:

        1. File the outstanding tax return and/or documents; and
        2. Pay the composition amount.

        Postponement of Court Hearing

        If the company needs more time to file and/or pay the composition amount, the company's representative, even if he is the director, must attend Court on the Court date with a Letter of Authorisation to appeal for postponement. Please refer to the State Courts' FAQ on attending Court (PDF, 171KB).

        Attending Court

        Failure to attend Court will result in further legal actions taken against the company (for example, a warrant of arrest may be issued against the company director).

        In Court, the company representative/director will have to take a plea after the charges are read. Upon conviction, the company may face a fine of up to $1,000.

        A company director convicted for failure to comply to Section 65B(3) could face a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment of up to 12 months or both.

        The company must still file the outstanding documents, failing which further legal actions may be taken.

        Failure to File Your Tax Returns for Two or More Years

        If a company fails to file its tax returns for two years or more, it may be issued with a summons to attend Court. On conviction in Court, the company may be ordered by the Court to pay:

        1. A penalty that is twice the amount of tax assessed; and

        2. A fine of up to $1,000.

        Estimated Notice of Assessment (NOA)

        IRAS may at the same time issue an estimated NOA if a company fails to file its Form C-S, or Form C together with financial statements and tax computation as required. The estimated tax may be based on the company’s past years’ income or information available to IRAS.

        If a company receives an estimated NOA, it must:

        1. Pay the estimated tax within one month from the date of the NOA

          The company must pay the estimated tax even if it intends to object to the assessment or is awaiting the outcome of the objection. Otherwise, there will be penalties for late payment.

        2. File an objection to the estimated tax assessment if it disagrees with the estimated tax assessment

          The company must file an objection to the assessment within two months from the date of the NOA.

          In filing the objection, the company must submit its Form C-S, or Form C together with financial statements and tax computation. Otherwise, the estimated assessment cannot be revised, even if an objection has been filed. 

          Upon revision of the estimated assessment, any excess tax paid will be refunded.

        Filing Outstanding Tax Returns

        In line with compulsory e-Filing, paper submissions of Form C (Upload) will not be accepted with effect from YA 2020. In addition, the downloadable Form C-S will not be available on the IRAS website. Please e-File your outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C) via myTax Portal.

        For more details, you may refer to the user guides and Guidance on Completing Form C-S/ C

        You must first be authorised via Corppass before you can log in to IRAS digital services. Follow the step-by-step guides on how to register for Corppass.

          Paying the Composition Amount

          The composition amount must be paid and the outstanding tax return submitted before the due date in order for the offence to be compounded by IRAS.

          Please quote the payment slip number when making payment for the composition amount using the preferred payment modes. GIRO payment mode is not applicable for payment of the composition amount.

          Legal actions may still be taken against companies that pay the composition amount but do not file the required outstanding tax return. The payment made will be used to settle any unpaid tax.

          To check if payment has been credited, please log in to myTax Portal and select "View Account Summary" three working days from the date of payment.

          Appealing Against the Composition Amount

          Appeals can be made online via myTax Portal and will only be considered if the following conditions are fully met:

          1. The company has submitted the outstanding tax returns and/or documents before the due date stated in the offer of composition; and

          2. The company has filed on time for the past two years.

          • Can I request for an extension to file my company’s overdue tax return?

            Current Year of Assessment

            A request for extension to file may be made online via myTax Portal.

            However, if a summons to attend Court has been issued, no filing extensions will be allowed. If the company/director requires an extension to file, a representative/the director must attend Court on the Court date to appeal for an extension.

            Failure to attend court may result in further legal actions.

            Previous Years of Assessment(s)

            No filing extensions can be granted as the returns are long overdue.