Who are licensed international marketing agents & representatives

Licensed international marketing agents & representatives refer to persons* who hold valid licences issued by Gambling Regulatory Authority (GRA) of Singapore. They are the ones allowed to organise or conduct casino marketing arrangements with casino operators in Singapore.

These "Licensed International Market Agents" (licensed IMAs) and "Licensed International Market Agents Representatives" (licensed IMA reps) are generally known as junket promoters and junket representatives respectively.

A junket promoter is a person* who organises or conducts a casino marketing arrangement with a casino operator.

A junket representative is an individual who is employed by a junket promoter to organise or conduct a casino marketing arrangement on behalf of the junket promoter.

*A person includes a company, body of persons and individual

Taxation of Licensed IMAs 

Income derived in Singapore and received by a licensed IMA is subject to tax in Singapore under section 10(1) of the Income Tax Act (ITA).

Income refers to any commission or other payments received by a licensed IMA for organising or conducting a casino marketing arrangement with a casino operator in Singapore.

Taxable types of income received by licensed IMAs & licensed IMA reps

The following types of income is taxable and must be reported to IRAS for Income Tax purposes.

1. Commission Income

This refers to commissions (including incentives, complimentaries, any cash and non-cash benefits) received from casino operators.

Commissions also include any payment (both cash and non-cash benefits) from parties, other than the casino operators, for ancillary services such as travel arrangements and entertainment.

2. Interest Income

This refers to the interest income earned from the extension of credit to players.

3. Tips

This refers to gratuities received from players, the casino operators or other parties.

For example, when a player wins in the casino and gives the licensed IMAs/IMA reps some extra money (commonly known as hong pow), this amount is taxable income even if it is received in the form of chips or valuables.

For a self-employed individual or a company, such hong pow is considered as trade income, while for an employee, it is considered as a perquisite of his employment.

4. Tokes

Tokes are winnings from bets that are received from bets placed on behalf of the licensed IMAs/IMA reps by the players. 

Claimable Expenses

When the licensed IMA is a self-employed individual or a company, the licensed IMA may claim expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred to earn the income.

These expense includes:

  • Business office expenses
  • Complimentaries and gifts
  • Entertainment (excluding personal and private expenses)
  • Staff salaries
  • Travel and transport (excluding private car expenses even if they are incurred for business purposes)

Keeping proper records

Licensed IMAs have to maintain proper records and accounts of all transactions as IRAS may request them when assessing the income tax.

All accounting records and supporting documents relating to the relevant Year of Assessment (YA) must be kept for period of 5 years from the relevant YA.

Learn more about  Record Keeping Essentials for Businesses.

Reporting & filing obligations 

1. Licensed IMA companies

You must file the Corporate Income Tax Return (Form C / Form C-S).

You must also furnish an estimate of your chargeable income ("ECI") within 3 months from the end of your financial year unless you qualify for the administrative concession not to file ECI.

2. Licensed IMA self-employed individuals

You must file an Income Tax Return (Form B for sole-proprietorship / partner and Form P for partnership).

You must also submit certified Profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet when filing the Income Tax Return if the business revenue is $500,000 or more.

3. Licensed IMA reps

You may be required to file an Income Tax Return (Form B1). Your employer may issue you with a Return of Remuneration (Form IR8A).

If you are a non-resident individual, you will be taxed at the flat rate of 15% or the resident rates whichever results in a higher tax amount on your employment income.

Learn more about businesses and individuals' filing obligations at www.iras.gov.sg.

Withholding Tax for non-resident (NR) Licensed IMAs 

Under section 45H of the ITA, if you are a non-resident licensed IMA receiving commissions or any other payment from Singapore casino operators, you are subject to withholding tax of 3% on such payments received.

A NR licensed IMA company is one where the control and management of its business is not exercised in Singapore. A NR licensed IMA individual is one who resides in Singapore for less than 183 days in a year.

Contact Information

If you have any enquiries on income tax treatments for IMAs and IMA reps, please contact IRAS at: