Currently, GST on imported goods (import GST) is payable to Singapore Customs at the point of importation.
IGDS aims to ease the import GST cash flow arising from the time lapse between the payment of import GST and the claiming of import GST for GST-registered businesses.
GST-registered businesses account for the deferred import GST and claim it as input tax (subject to the conditions of claiming input tax) in the same GST return.
Businesses under IGDS must file their GST returns on monthly basis. This allows importers to enjoy a credit period of one to two months, similar to what businesses enjoy for their local purchases (30-day credit term).
The following diagram illustrates how IGDS works:
Qualifying for IGDS
Amongst other requirements, GST-registered businesses must have good compliance records with IRAS and SC in order to qualify for IGDS.
For details on the qualifying conditions, please download our e-Tax Guide on Import GST Deferment Scheme (PDF, 335KB).
Applying for IGDS
- Submit a fully completed and signed Application Form GST F22: Application for Import Deferment Scheme (PDF, 463KB); and
- Perform a self-review using the Assisted Self-Help Kit (ASK) and submit the certified ASK declaration form "ASK: Declaration Form on Completing Annual Review & Voluntary Disclosure of Errors" (Section 3 of ASK); or
- Commit/ Have committed to participate in the Assisted Compliance Assurance Programme (ACAP); or
- Perform a Post ACAP Annual Review (PAR) and submit the "PAR Declaration" form (GST F28) for business with a valid ACAP status.
Certified ASK or ACAP
Perform a self-review using the Assisted Self-Help Kit (ASK).
The ASK Annual Review must either be performed by:
- An individual accredited with Singapore Chartered Tax Professionals Limited ^ ("SCTP") as Accredited Tax Advisor (GST) [ ATA (GST)] or Accredited Tax Practitioner (GST) [ ATP (GST)]; or
- The GST-registered business and certified by an individual accredited with SCTP as ATA (GST) or ATP (GST), in adherence to the certification procedures set out in the GST ASK Annual Review Guide (PDF, 1458KB).
^ The ATA (GST) or ATP (GST) may either be an in-house staff or external party. For more information on accreditation, please visit http://www.sctp.org.sg.
Commit/Have committed to participate in the Assisted Compliance Assurance Programme (ACAP).
For successful ACAP applicants, you do not need to submit the ASK declaration form pending the result of ACAP review and submission of ACAP Report.
For more information on ACAP, please refer to the e-Tax guide GST: Assisted Compliance Assurance Programme (ACAP) (PDF, 1744KB).
Perform a Post ACAP Annual Review (PAR) and submit the "PAR Declaration" form (GST F28) for business with a valid ACAP status. 'Revised'
For businesses with a valid ACAP status, the ASK declaration form is also not required, if you perform a PAR and submit the "PAR Declaration" form (GST F28).
For more information on PAR, please refer to the Information Leaflet on Post ACAP Annual Review (Appendix 2) of e-Tax guide on ACAP (PDF, 1744KB).
For details, please refer to Import GST Deferment Scheme (PDF, 335KB).