Filing Mistake #1 Not Filing Tax Return

My employer is sending my employment income details to IRAS. Therefore, I do not have to file my tax return.

Although your employer has transmitted your employment income details to IRAS, you are still required to e-File your Income Tax Return unless you have received the No-Filing Service (NFS) Letter.  

If you received the NFS letter, you do not need to file an Income Tax Return.

Your Notice of Assessment (NOA) or tax bill will be sent to you between end Apr to Sep 2017. Your NOA is computed based on your auto-included income and previous year's relief claims, which may be adjusted if you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your NOA is accurate. If you have any other income that is not shown in the NOA, or your relief claims in the NOA are incorrect, please inform us within 30 days from the date of your NOA.

You may verify the details of your auto-included information and preview your Notice of Assessment (PNOA) at myTax Portal using your SingPass or IRAS PIN from 1 Mar to 18 Apr 2017.

1) If your PNOA is accurate, you may request an early assessment.

2) If your PNOA is not accurate, you can e-File a tax return to make the relevant changes. Some examples of the changes are:
- Additional or non auto-included sources of income (e.g. rental income received in 2016, employment income received if you have joined a new company in 2016 and your employer is not participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme), or
- amendments to personal relief claims (e.g. child relief claims on a newborn child in 2016, remove child relief claims if your child started working and had income exceeding $4,000 in 2016).

Filing Mistake #2 Declaration of Other Income

I declare my income as a taxi-driver as Other Income .

A taxi-driver is a self-employed person.

For e-Filing:

You need to declare as trade income under item 2 "Trade, Business, Profession or Vocation".

For paper filing:

  1. Form B1: Complete item 3 "Other Income" on Page 2 of Form B1 and Item 1" Trade, Business, Profession or Vocation" of Appendix 1.
  2. Form B: Complete Item 1" Trade, Business, Profession or Vocation" on Page 2.

Filing Mistake #3 Reliefs

Since I have claimed reliefs last year, I do not have to claim them again. The reliefs will be automatically included in my future assessments.

For paper filing:

You still need to claim reliefs and enter the amount of claim even if this amount remains unchanged from last year.

For e-Filing:

You need not claim the reliefs shown in the Income, Deductions and Relief Statement (IDRS) as they will be automatically included in your tax assessment.

If you have any changes to the pre-filled deductions and reliefs or wish to claim new reliefs/Parenthood Tax Rebate, please select "Edit My Tax Form" at the IDRS page and fill in the details at My Tax Form.

Filing Mistake #4 Earned Income Relief

I entered the amount of Earned Income Relief in the "details of handicap" as there is no "amount" field provided for Earned Income Relief.

You need not enter an amount for Earned Income Relief as it will be automatically calculated and included in your tax assessment based on your eligibility.

Filing Mistake #5 CPF Contributions for Self-Employed

I declared my self-employed CPF contributions under CPF/Provident Fund.

You need not declare self-employed CPF contributions as it will be automatically calculated and included in your assessment based on your eligibility.

Filing Mistake #6 Not Completing e-Filing

I did not finish my filing as I did not have any income or reliefs to report other than those shown in Income Deductions and Reliefs Statement (IDRS).

You still need to submit your income tax return and complete the e-Filing.

An acknowledgement page will be displayed upon successful submission.

Filing Mistake #7 Not Clicking "Submit Income Tax Return" Button

I clicked "Edit My Tax Form" to declare my other income or reliefs not shown in IDRS.

After declaring my other income or reliefs in My Tax Form, I clicked "View Statement" button.

After checking that the details in the Consolidated Statement are correct, I exited from e-Filing.

You need to click the "Submit" button at the Consolidated Statement to complete your e-Filing.



  • Strongly Disagree
  • Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Please email us if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.