How to File Tax

You can file your annual income tax return via:

(i) e-Filing at myTax Portal; or
(ii) Paper Form.


If you receive a letter or SMS informing you to file an income tax return, you must file even if:

  1. You did not have any income in the preceding year; or
  2. You have only employment income and your employer is participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme (AIS) and will e-submit your employment income details to IRAS.

You can e-File your tax return via myTax Portal from 1 Mar 2021 to 18 Apr 2021.

Paper Filing

Please file your paper tax return by 15 Apr 2021.

When filing your tax return, you do not need to declare the employment income received from the employer who is participating in the Auto Inclusion Scheme (AIS). This information would be automatically included in your income tax assessment.

If your employer is under AIS, you should enter "0" for your employment income and any donations, CPF contributions and life insurance premium deducted from your salary.

No-Filing Service (NFS)

The No-Filing Service or NFS means that you are not required to file a tax return.

Your Notice of Assessment (NOA) or tax bill (digital or paper format) will be sent to you from end Apr 2021 onwards. Your NOA is computed based on your auto-included income and previous year's relief claims, which may be adjusted if you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your NOA is accurate. If you have any other income that is not shown in the NOA, or your relief claims in the NOA are incorrect, please inform us within 30 days from the date of your NOA.

You may verify the details of your auto-included information and preview your Notice of Assessment (PNOA) at myTax Portal using your Singpass or Singpass Foreign user Account (SFA) from 1 Mar to 18 Apr 2021.

1) If the details are accurate, you may request an early assessment.

2) If the details are not accurate, you can e-File your tax return to make the relevant changes. Some examples of the changes are:

- Additional or non-auto-included sources of income (e.g. rental income received in 2020, employment income received if you have joined a new company in 2020 and your employer is not participating in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme), or  

- Amendments to personal relief claims (e.g. child relief claims on a newborn child in 2020, remove child relief claims if your child started working and had income exceeding $4,000 in 2020).

Find out more about the No-Filing Service (NFS).

For self-employed persons under the Pre-filling of Income scheme, please refer to the No-Filing Service (NFS) for Self-Employed Persons (SEPs) under the Pre-filling of Income scheme for more information.

Whether you e-File or paper file your tax return, you may have some questions about mistakes to be avoided. Learn more about the common filing mistakes and how to report income that was not previously reported.