Companies Applying for Strike off/ to Cease Registration

Companies must pay outstanding taxes and fulfill all tax obligations as part of the process of striking off or de-registering the company.

Striking Off a Company

A company may apply to the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) to strike its name off the Companies Register if it is no longer carrying on business. This process is known as "striking off" a company.

Pay Outstanding Taxes

To successfully apply to ACRA to be struck off, the company must not have any outstanding tax liabilities with IRAS, Otherwise, IRAS may object to the application to strike off.

In this regard, companies should ensure:

  1. All outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C) have been submitted. If the company is filing Form C, the accounts and tax computation must also be submitted;
  2. Accounts and tax computations have been submitted up to the date of cessation of business (i.e. for the period(s) where IRAS has not yet issued an Income Tax Return);
  3. All outstanding tax matters* have been settled with IRAS  (e.g. answered all queries raised by IRAS, ensured all assessments are finalised and paid etc);  and
  4. GST registration has been cancelled and there are no outstanding GST matters.

Local companies can refer to ACRA's Guidelines on Closing a Local Company.  

*Please do not close the company's bank accounts until all outstanding matters are settled. Once the company's bank account is closed and there is a tax credit owing to the company, IRAS will not be able to pay over the tax credit to a third party (e.g. director, shareholder). When the company is dissolved, the tax credit due to the company will be paid over to the Insolvency and Public Trustee's Office (IPTO). The shareholders of the defunct company may approach IPTO if they wish to claim the tax credit. Charges will be imposed by IPTO for the processing of the claim. For procedures on how to make a claim, please see IPTO's website.

New! Where a company has been struck off and dissolved, a person who was an officer* of the company immediately before the company was dissolved must ensure that all books and papers of the company are retained for a period of at least five years after the date on which the company was dissolved.

*Generally, an officer refers to any director, secretary or person employed in an executive capacity.

How to check for outstanding filing and tax liabilities

 You may check if your company has any outstanding tax issues via:

  • myTax Portal; or

  • 24-hour toll-free automated answering service.

Please ensure that you are authorized via the e-Services Authorisation System (EASY).

You may access the following at myTax Portal:

Corporate Tax

  • View Corporate Tax Filing Status (e.g. to check if any Income Tax Return is outstanding or whether the tax assessment has been finalised for a particular Year of Assessment)
  • View Corporate Tax Notices (e.g., to view Notice Of Assessment or letters issued by IRAS)
  • View Account Summary (e.g., to view the balance in your corporate tax account)
  • View Payment Plan

For detailed instructions, please refer to the User Guides for View Corporate Tax Filing Status, View Corporate Tax Notices, View Account Summary and View Payment Plan.


  • View GST Filing Status (e.g. to check the status of GST returns or if there are any outstanding returns)
  • View GST Notices (e.g. to view acknowledgement page for submitted GST F5/F7/F8 returns)
  • View Account Summary (e.g., to view your GST account balance)
  • View Payment Plan

You can check if a company is GST-registered via the Register of GST-registered Businesses. It is not necessary to log in to myTax Portal or use your SingPass/IRAS Pin to access this service.

You can use our 24-hour toll-free automated answering service to check if your company has any outstanding corporate tax or GST issues. 

Corporate Tax

  • Assessment Status (e.g. whether the tax assessment has been finalised)
  • Status of Form C/ C-S and Accounts (e.g. whether these items are pending submission)


  • GST registration or deregistration Status

Fulfill Tax Obligations Before Applying to Strike Off

The company has to ensure all outstanding tax obligations and liabilities have been settled before applying to ACRA to be struck off the Companies Register. 

Outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C)

The company must submit outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C), accounts and tax computations with a cover letter stating your intention to apply for strike off, before proceeding to apply for strike off with ACRA.

For companies filing Form C-S, the accounts and tax computations are not required to be submitted together with Form C-S. However, you should still prepare the documents and submit them upon IRAS' request.

Generally IRAS strives to complete all assessments within one month upon receipt of complete information. However, in the event IRAS require further information from companies with complex affairs or have submitted incomplete information, it may require up to 6 months to review the assessments. This flowchart illustrates the process for companies applying for strike off.

Dormant Companies

If the company has been dormant since the date of incorporation or since the submission of the last Income Tax Return (Form C-S/ C) and it has outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C) that were issued to it during the dormant period, you may wish to complete the Application for Waiver of Income Tax Return (Form C/ Form C-S) Submission by a Dormant Company (540KB).

Submit the form together with a cover letter stating your intention to apply for strike off, before proceeding to apply for strike off with ACRA. If the application for a waiver is successful, the company need not submit its outstanding Income Tax Returns (Form C-S/ C). For more information, please refer to Dormant Companies.

Tax Clearance Letter

Do note that IRAS will not issue a tax clearance letter for the purpose of applying for strike off. The company can rely on the following documents from IRAS to determine that there is no outstanding tax matter or tax liability:

  • Tax matters - Latest Notice(s) of Assessment; and
  • Tax liability - Latest Statements of Accounts. 

De-registration by Singapore Branches of Foreign Companies

Singapore branches of foreign companies registered with ACRA have to inform IRAS in writing if they have ceased registration or business in Singapore.

These branches have to submit accounts and tax computations up to the last day of business. They must also settle their outstanding tax matters and tax liabilities before they are removed from ACRA's register*.

Generally IRAS strives to complete all assessments within one month upon receipt of complete information. However, in the event IRAS requires further information from branches with complex affairs or have submitted incomplete information, it may require up to 6 months to review the assessments. This flowchart illustrates the process for companies that have ceased registration.

* According to section 377(1) of the Companies Act, the Singapore branch of the foreign company is required to lodge a notice with ACRA within 7 days after it ceases to have a place of business or to carry on business in Singapore. The name of the branch/ company shall be removed from the register upon the expiration of 12 months after the lodging of the notice.  

  • My company ceased business during the financial year ending on 31 Dec 2016 and intends to apply for strike-off. If the company has submitted the financial statements and tax computation up to the date of cessation of business (i.e. YA 2017), is it still required to file the Estimated Chargeable Income (ECI) for YA 2017?

    The company is not required to file ECI for YA 2017, as it has already submitted its financial statements and tax computation for that YA. We will review and finalise the YA 2017 assessment based on the financial statements and tax computation submitted.

  • My company has ceased business (e.g. on 28 Feb 2017) but has not received the Form C-S/ C filing notification letter for the relevant YA. The Form C-S/ C is also not available on IRAS’ website or How can the company submit its Form C-S/ C to IRAS so that it can proceed with its application for strike off?

    The Form C-S/ C filing notification letter is typically sent to the company's registered address by May of each year. If the company has not received the filing notification letter and the Form C-S/ C is not available on IRAS' website or, please submit the company's financial statements and tax computation(s) up to the date of cessation to IRAS by post, together with a cover letter stating its intention to strike off.

  • My company received a notification from ACRA informing us that IRAS has lodged an objection to the company’s striking off application. What should the company do?

    IRAS will lodge an objection to a company's application for strike off if the company has outstanding tax matters. In such a case, the company is required to settle the outstanding tax matters within two months from the date the objection was lodged. Otherwise, the company's strike off application will lapse and it will need to apply to ACRA for strike off again. 


  • My company is a Singapore branch of a foreign company and ceased registration in Singapore on 1 Mar 2016. Does it have to submit the Form C for YA 2017?

    If Form C for YA 2017 has been issued to the branch, the branch is required to submit:

    1. Form C for YA 2017 together with its financial statements for financial year ending in 2016;
    2. Tax computation for YA 2017; and
    3. The financial statements for the period up to the date the branch ceased registration; and
    4. The tax computation for the YA(s) relating to the period up to the date the branch ceased registration.

    If the Form C for YA 2017 was not issued, the branch does not need to request for it. The branch should submit:

    1. The financial statements up to the date the branch ceased registration
    2. The tax computation(s) for the relevant YA(s); and
    3. A cover letter stating the date of cessation of registration.


  • Strongly Disagree
  • Strongly Agree

Information is easy to understand.

Information is useful.

Information is easy to find.

Please email us if you would like us to respond to your enquiries.