Filing taxes on-the-go optimised for smartphones
Interactive personal relief tool for immediate eligibility checks
expenses for tenanted residential properties
The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) has introduced several enhancements for Individual Income Tax Season 2016 which runs from 1 Mar to 18 Apr 2016.
File your taxes
on-the-go – this year’s smartphone filing optimised for mobile browsers
Taxpayers will save time with the enhanced smartphone filing available from Mar 2016. IRAS would like to encourage taxpayers to file early to avoid a last minute rush as tax filing can be done easily from anywhere, anytime.
confirmation that you are eligible for personal reliefs
For taxpayers who would like to check on-the-spot if they are eligible for certain personal reliefs (e.g. Qualifying Child Relief, Grandparent Caregiver Relief, Foreign Maid Levy Relief), they can use the new Personal Reliefs Eligibility Tool. This tool
allows taxpayers to determine if they meet the qualifying conditions for the reliefs they wish to claim.
reliefs (e.g. Earned Income Relief, NSman Relief) will continue to be
Owners of tenanted
residential properties can save time, thanks to pre-filled rental expenses
Taxpayers who wish to claim rental expenses for their tenanted residential properties will enjoy simplified tax filing. In their online tax form, an amount of deemed rental expenses calculated based on 15 per cent of the gross rent has been pre-filled
for them. In addition, taxpayers can still claim mortgage interest on the loan taken to purchase the tenanted property.
Alternatively, taxpayers can choose to claim the amount of actual rental expenses incurred.
For taxpayers with more than one property, the option they choose i.e. either the pre-filled 15 per cent or actual rental expenses incurred, will apply to all their tenanted residential properties.
90 per cent increase
in organisations participating in e-Submission of Commission Income Scheme
This year, more than 70,000 commission-earners – real estate agents and insurance agents included - will have an easier time filing as they just need to verify or edit the pre-filled income information and claim their expenses, saving much time and effort.
This is possible because more than 210 organisations are expected to have submitted their commission earners’ income records under the e-Submission of Commission Income Scheme. IRAS is very encouraged by this overwhelming response – last year, just 110
such organisations took part in the scheme.
with preview of tax bill and early assessment of income
1.4 million taxpayers who are on the No-Filing Service (NFS) scheme i.e. not required to file, can preview their tax bill (Notice of Assessment) and request an early assessment from March 2016. This is provided they have no changes to their pre-filled
income and relief claims.
Upon request, these taxpayers will be able to view their tax bills online within three working days. For taxpayers on the GIRO payment scheme, opting for an early assessment provides them with even more certainty on their tax payments as their GIRO instalment
plans will be based on their actual tax payments instead of a provisional instalment plan. Last year, 14,000 taxpayers requested early assessment.
today at mytax.iras.gov.sg
IRAS would like to remind all taxpayers, including sole proprietors and partners, to file their income tax returns online by 18 Apr 2016, or send in their paper returns by 15 Apr 2016. Do file early to avoid any last-minute rush, or late filing penalties.
Tax Season 2016: Guide on Tax Filing Assistance & Payment
To check if you need to file
- Use this tax filing template (XLS, 60KB) to check if you need to file this year.
- AskJasmine, your virtual assistant and get answers to your individual income tax filing questions.
How to file
- Visit our website: www.iras.gov.sg for useful information on e-Filing
Go to “e-Services” > “Individuals” > “e-File Individual Income Tax Form (B1/B)”
- Online Demo: Visit https://www.iras.gov.sg/quick-links/e-learningto view the e-filing steps before you file your return;
- Email us: Via myTax Mail service (at mytax.iras.gov.sg) using Singpass or IRAS PIN.
To e-File, log in to mytax.iras.gov.sg using your Singpass or IRAS PIN from 1 March to 18 April 2016 and click on “Begin e-Filing for the Year of Assessment 2016”.
For more information on filing matters, browse www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/TaxSeason2016
To check your tax reliefs
- Use the Personal Reliefs Eligibility Tool (XLS, 538KB) to check your eligibility for the personal reliefs.
- For Parenthood Tax Rebate, you can use the Parenthood Tax Rebate Tool (XLS, 126KB).
To find out if you are on the Auto-Inclusion Scheme of Employment Income
- Check the AIS Organisation Search whether your company is participating in AIS, and whether he/she has submitted the income information for YA 2016
Tax Filing with Singpass
- Use your Singpass to e-File your tax return. You can log in to mytax.iras.gov.sg with or without the Two-Step Verification (2FA) to file your 2016 tax return.
- Please register 2FA for your Singpass early, as IRAS e-Services at mytax.iras.gov.sg will require 2FA from 5 Jul 2016 onwards. For more information on Singpass 2FA, please visit www.singpass.gov.sg.
How much tax to pay
- For taxpayers on the No-Filing Service Scheme, you can preview your tax bill and request an early assessment if you did not amend the ‘Income, Deductions and Reliefs Statement’ of your tax return.
- Compute your estimated tax payable using our tax calculators.
Sign up for GIRO to enjoy fuss-free payment of your taxes
You can choose to pay by 12 monthly interest-free instalments or pay in one GIRO deduction. No more worries about tax payment due dates as your tax is deducted from your bank account. Learn more about GIRO and other payment modes.
How to be updated on tax matters
- Give us your mobile number through mytax.iras.gov.sg and receive timely updates/reminders on your tax matters.
- Get the latest updates on facebook.com/irassg and twitter.com/iras_sg.
Where to seek tax filing help
Should you require filing assistance, please visit our e-Filing Service centre at Revenue House. We encourage you to visit in March for a shorter wait as the expected waiting time in April can be up to 2 hours.
|Location for e-Filing Assistance||Period||Operating Hours|
|1 Mar to 18 Apr 2016||8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Mon to Fri);|
8 a.m. - 1 p.m. (Sat)
Please bring along your:
- NRIC / Employment Pass / Work Permit;
- Singpass / IRAS PIN; and DBS/POSB NETS card (to sign up for GIRO).
Do file your income tax return via mytax.iras.gov.sg by 18 April 2016 or send in your paper returns by 15 April 2016.